Financial Information

A majority of full-time graduate students receive some financial aid and most full-time PhD students receive full support. The level of support often is dependent upon the specific graduate program and your degree status. There are three forms of financial assistance available to graduate students: merit-based, need-based, and non-need based aid.

Merit-Based Assistance

Merit-based assistance includes fellowships, assistantships, and scholarships. You are automatically considered for university-based fellowships, assistantships, and scholarships. The availability of merit-based assistance varies significantly by field of study.  

The university also provides special fellowship opportunities to promote the diversity of university programs.

Many graduate students at the university receive fellowships funded by sources outside the university. You are encouraged to apply for externally funded fellowships and scholarships as early as possible. If you are new to the external funding process, bowse the GradFund website or make an appointment to get personalized help.   

Need-Based Assistance

Need-based assistance includes grants, loans, and employment.  Most graduate students are eligible for some type of federal student assistance, usually in the form of a student loan. United States citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for need-based aid. Students who receive aid administered by the Rutgers Office of Financial Aid must report any employment offers, fellowships, scholarships, loans, gifts, and assistantships received subsequent to the original award made by the Office of Financial Aid.

Non-Need-Based Assistance

Non-need-based assistance includes private loans and other loan sources. There are many options.